Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Book Blast & Interview: The Legacy by Melissa Delport

Cover - The Legacy

TITLE: The Legacy

SERIES: Book 1 of The Legacy Trilogy

AUTHOR: Melissa Delport

PRINT ISBN: 978-0-620-59636-7

eISBN: 978-0-620-59637-4

PAGES: 366 pages

WORD COUNT: 99 160

GENRE: Speculative Fiction

MARKET: Adults (with crossover to the 16+ reader)

PUBLISHER: Tracey McDonald Publishers

Blurb-

One man obsessed with power.

One woman prepared to sacrifice everything to stop him.

One war that changed the world.

“World War Three lasted twelve days. Twelve days was all it took for mankind to devastate the planet and almost eradicate the human race. No victor emerged from the ashes and billions lost their lives.

We survivors lived through the bleakest of winters. A primal existence became the new order, and the little that remained of our humanity hung in the balance.

Then one man stood up and changed the world. I believed, as did everyone else, that he was the hero of our time, the man who had saved us from our own demise. His name is Eric Dane and he is the President of the New United States of America.

He is also my husband, and my greatest enemy.

I grew up oblivious to the truth, until my father found me when I was nineteen years old. He told me about the many horrifying facts that our new leader kept hidden from us. And he told me that beyond the borders the Resistance grew and fought for freedom from the oppression that Eric Dane had imposed on us.

My name is Rebecca Davis. I am twenty-six years old, and in me the Resistance has found the ultimate weapon.”

A narrative of good and evil, love and passion, right and wrong – and at the centre of the story a strong woman who is prepared to sacrifice everything for the cause she believes in.

The Legacy is an action-packed, adrenalin-inducing thrill ride which will leave you riveted long after you have turned the last page.

 

BUY LINKS

Amazon.com - HERE

Amazon.co.uk - HERE

Barnes & Noble - HERE

Kobo – HERE

 

authorinterview

 

Did you always wanted to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

 I wanted to be a forensic psychologist. I majored in Psychology and English and after a year post-grad of each, English won out. I went on to open a Logistics company, the lure of business too strong to ignore, but ultimately I came back to my passion of writing.

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?

 When I saw my first book in print – when I could feel it and hold it…and smell it!

How long did it take to get your first book published?

Almost two years.

Do you do another job except for writing and can you tell us more about it?

I recently sold my logistics business to write full-time. The business was a specialized transport company.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?

The Legend, the final book in The Legacy Trilogy – a fast-paced, action-packed dystopian series set in post-nuclear America.

Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?

I was fortunate enough to be signed by Tracey McDonald Publishers in December ‘13. I do also indie-publish certain novels, so I guess I follow a hybrid model of publishing: part-mainstream, part-indie. I enjoy the diversity and the challenges of both.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?

 Six months. I am lucky enough to be quite prolific in my output.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?

 I am on a deadline for the final book in dystopian series, The Legacy Trilogy, so that will be next. Thereafter I am planning a fantasy series that I am excited to work on. Fantasy stretches even the most vivid imagination.

What genre would you place your books into?

Dystopian, SFF, Romance

What made you decide to write that genre of book?

 I don’t decide on a genre – I decide on a story and let it fall where it may.

Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite?

 Rebecca Davis from The Legacy Trilogy. She has a lot of depth of character – I have written three books about her, so she is the character I know best.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?

Two years, professionally. I always wanted to write, but only now in my thirties did I feel that my writing had matured enough to be taken seriously. I wrote the odd book in my teens and early twenties that will thankfully never see the light of day.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?

 I ramble around my house and wherever I find a seat, I type.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?

Yes! I shouldn’t, but you just can’t help it. I do find that I am less obsessive now, so I only check every few weeks. Usually I like what I read, so it doesn’t bother me that much.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?

 The story and the title come together and then I sit down and write. I did the same with my 3 children – they were named in-utero ;)

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?

 My main characters names are researched. I try and match the meaning of the name with the character. For secondary characters, I often use the names of friends and family. Place names vary, but I use legitimate places wherever I can, unless of course the setting is manufactured.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?

 My main characters are plotted before, but secondary characters are created as I go along.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")

 All of my books have a very strong, confident female lead. I guess the moral is that you don’t need a man to save you J

Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?

I don’t mind, it’s the story I’m interested in, not the format. Being such a voracious reader, my kindle is easier on the pocket and a space-saver!

What is your favorite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?

Harry Potter and The Twilight Saga – I can read them over and over. HP because the story is so astounding I always find something new, and TS because of Edward Cullen *swoon*

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favorite/worst book to movie transfer?

 I recently watch the Vampire Academy movie and I was disappointed because I am a huge fan of Richelle Mead. I thought the movie was a bit superficial. I did love the Hunger Games and Mortal Instruments adaptations though.

Your favorite food is?

Sunday roast, with loads of gravy.

Your favorite singer/group is?

 I am a music fundi! I have so many cds and I listen to anything from Abba to the Smashing Pumpkins.

Your favorite color is?

 Grey

Your favorite Author is?

 I honestly couldn’t tell you – we would be here all day. I am an avid reader and I devour fiction.

 

abouttheauthor

clip_image004Wife and mother of 3, Melissa Delport is the author of The Legacy Trilogy and the stand-alone self-published e.books Rainfall and The Traveler.

She graduated from the University of South Africa with a Bachelor’s Degree in English in 2000

At the age of twenty-four Melissa started a logistics company (Transmax) from the spare room of her flat and built it up to two fully operational depots in Durban and Johannesburg. Now, 10 years later, she has sold her business in order to write full time.

Melissa lives with her husband and three children in Hillcrest, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.

The Legacy (book 1 of The Legacy Trilogy) and The Legion (book 2) are available now and the final book, The Legend, will be released early 2015.

An avid reader herself, Melissa finally decided to stop ‘watching from the sidelines’ and to do what is her passion.

“I was driving home from work when inspiration struck, and a storyline started unravelling in my head. For a few days it was all I could think about and eventually I realised that the only way to get it out of my head, was to put it all down on paper. I started writing, and that was that.”

SOCIAL MEDIA CHANNELS

Blog: www.melissadelport.com

The Legacy Trilogy Website: www.thelegacytrilogy.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheMelissaDelportBookClub

Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/MelissaDelport

Twitter: www.twitter.com/MelissaDelport

Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/MelissaDelport

Publisher’s website: www.traceymcdonaldpublishers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment