Thursday, April 24, 2014

Author Interview with Braxton A Cosby, author of Protostar

Protostar Banner 450 x 169

Today on the blog we have author Braxton A Cosby for an interview. Braxton is the author of one of today’s book blasts, Protostar. We would like to thank Braxton for stopping by and sharing with us.

clip_image002About Braxton:

Braxton A. Cosby is a dreamer with a passion for inspiring others to love, in spite of circumstance and convenience.

His calling to pen a young-adult series that is smart, witty, and thought provoking, has challenged readers to answer the question: What would you choose, love or irrevocable duty?

Braxton lives in Atlanta, GA, where he co-hosts a local radio show on WAOK which is a mash-up of current events and health and wellness. He also has a blog where he discusses everything from health and entertainment to spirituality and relationships.

Website: www.braxtoncosby.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DrBraxtonCosby

Twitter:@BraxtonACosby

Blog: www.braxtoncosby.com

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4987409.Braxton_A_Cosby

 

authorinterview

 

How long did it take to get your first book published?

It has been a labor of love. Four years in the making. Originally took me about 4 months to write, then about two months of editing. I brought it out under a local small press company and then I got a literary agent and pitched it some larger publishers. Finally, I settled on Winter Goose and hey have been incredible in helping me give it a fresh facelift, inside and out. The storytelling is much richer and engrossing.

Do you do another job except for writing and can you tell us more about it?

Yes, I am the CEO of Cosby Media Productions, a full service entertainment studio that focuses on producing content in the area of film, print, music and television. We currently have about 15 projects under development, including my Young Adult books The Star-Crossed Saga and The School of Ministry.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?

Protostar – coming out April 16th. It is a YA book that focuses on star-crossed lovers and the love they must fight to maintain, with a sci-fi backdrop.

Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?

Winter Goose Publications.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?

I have about five books set to release over the next 12 months, including self-help, speculative fiction and auto-biographies. I also have about 3 movie/film projects I’m working on with my company Cosby Media Productions that are based on my writings. So people are going to get to know me very quickly, very soon.

What genre would you place your books into?

Speculative fiction with an emphasis on Young Adult.

Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite?

I love William. He is such a pivotal character because he starts off very purpose driven. He has this mission he must accomplish and is determined to go through with it. He has never had to deal with the emotion of love, nor does he recognize it. But when he starts to feel it, internally he is torn apart. He must learn how to hide his feelings for Sydney so that he can kill her. But during his time of being around her, he is enamored by her. Everything about her is intoxicating. His transition was the biggest part of the book and is now the focus of the Screenplay for the movie.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?

My love for young people. There is so much potential in encouraging and inspiring young people to do great things. The more we are able to poor into one another, the better off the entire planet will be. I also got a lot of my inspiration to write from God. He is the voice in my head that keeps me going. He supplied the base for The Star-Crossed Saga series from its conception and now I have been able to take it forward with eth trilogy and the screenplay for movie adaptation. It has become more than just a book, but now it is a franchise.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?

I love to either play audiobooks in the background, listen to music or look at a movie for inspiration.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books? 

Yes. I love to hear the feedback from readers. It’s the barometer from which I measure how well I got the message across that I was trying to convey in the story. Unbiased reviews are very helpful.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title? 

I usually go with the theme of the book first, build the story, then decide on a title from there.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books? 

From people I meet. If they fascinate me, I usually write the name down somewhere. The inspiration of their personality is woven into the character as a base and I build it from there.

Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?

I personally still love paperbacks. And who could pass up a bargain priced hardback. Bu, I do appreciate the ease of reading and mobility of ebooks. I have quite a few downloaded into my kindle.

What is your favorite book and Why? Have you read it more than once? 

I love Catching Fire from The Hunger Games. Suzanne Collins is a marvelous wordsmith and beyond that. The plot of the story was fascinating and rewarding. Finishing that book, and finally getting the twist at the end was an amazing experience. I’ve read it about 4 times.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favorite/worst book to movie transfer? 

Yes, well sometimes. Being a filmmaker, I understand the challenges of condensing a 4oo page book into a 90-120 page screenplay. A lot can get left out. I think that is why a lot of the YA movies recently have failed. You have to give the audience what they want: the readers need to see their favorite scenes and new-comers have to enjoy the experience. It’s a tough balance to find. Divergent really got it right, even though it has not gotten great reviews. I’ve read all three books and the first book was so good because of the world building and content. I think the actors and writers did Veronica Roth’s book justice.

Your favorite food is? 

Anything Mexican.

Your favorite singer/group is?

Maroon 5 and John Mayer.

Your favorite color is? 

Blue

Your favorite Author is?

Suzanne Collins

If you would like to know more about this amazing author, check out the book blast below.

No comments:

Post a Comment