Sunday, October 6, 2013

Author Interview with NL Greene, author of Twisted

Twisted Tour

 

Today on the blog we have author NL Greene with us for an interview. Let’s get to know this wonderful author.

Author In

 

Did you always wanted to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

Umm...no. I actually hated reading until (when did Twilight come out) a few years ago. When I was a kid I wanted to be a pharmacist. Then I just wanted to be a mom. I never made it to the pharmacist job, but I did get to be a stay at home mo and that’s what I’ve done for the past 11 years. It has been the MOST rewarding job!

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?

When I hit publish on Kindle. I wasn’t sure if it was going to happen really, but once the book was out there for people buy, I knew I was there.

How long did it take to get your first book published?

My first book was actually a book I co-wrote with my BFF and we self-published. We waited about 2 or 3 months after the book was finished (while we were getting rejected by publishing agents) before we decided we were just going to do it on our own.

Do you do another job except for writing and can you tell us more about it?

Other than writing, I’m a full time mom. I spend my days (while my girls are at school) writing, but when they get home I run them to dance and soccer practices almost every day of the week.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?

“Twisted”. A book about ultimate betrayals from the one person you love the most and learning to trust again.

Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?

I self-published.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?

So, Twisted was actually pretty quick, maybe a month and a half from start to finish. But I could relate to the story I was telling so it was so much easier and quicker to write than normal. Usually it takes about 2 to 3 months from start to finish.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?

I’m actually working on a NA Paranormal Series now. It will have an element of magic but I want it to be a more natural magic, more believable. I also have a few other books sitting on the back burner that I hope to get into once this series is complete.

What genre would you place your books into?

New Adult but only because of the content. It’s not sugar coated in anyway and I didn’t want anyone mad if their teen read it without the proper warnings. But I really think most teens could relate to the book and hopefully learn something.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?

It just sort of happened. I wanted to tell the story and the content put me there. I really enjoy reading YA and NA though so it was a pretty natural genre for me to write.

Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite?

Nat is my favorite. She struggled through the book but I felt that she owned her part in the mistakes she made. She wasn’t afraid to admit when she messed up.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?

Twilight was the beginning for me. I hated reading but my BFF talked me into reading the series and after that I was addicted to finding something just as good or better. Then I started going through books like crazy and thought I had something I could contribute, so I did.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?

I have an office with a desk set up that I usually start my day at, but then I move to the chaise lounge in the office and finish my day up there. On the weekends (if I work) I work from the couch so I can still be around my kids when their home. I do listen to music, especially since my husband works from home also and I usually have to block him out. ;)

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?

Yes, I can’t help myself. I have to know what people think. I try to use what is said as constructive criticism and apply it to the next book, if possible.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?

It sort of happens while I’m writing. Something usually jumps out at me. I sit on it for a while and if it still sounds good when I’m finished, then I stick with it.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?

It depends on the role of the character. If they are side characters, I just pick a name of someone I know and use theirs. If the character is going to important, I’ll google ‘important’ or ‘powerful’ names and use those.

Are character names and place names decided after their creation? Or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?

I usually invent the characters first. Their personality and level of importance will help me decide on that name.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?

I definitely have a basic idea of their character traits before I start, but I always alter then as I go. If they find themselves in a situation that calls for a change in character I’ll do that. My books usually take on a life of their own as I write and so do my characters.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..") Definitely.

The moral of the story is ;) that bullying and abuse can literally come from anyone. I feel like most people show examples of abusive relationships as a boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife scenario. Then there are the parent/child and the obvious ‘mean kid’ at school that openly picks on others. But friendships can also have an element of bullying and I feel those are the most unrecognizable. For teenage girls, your BFF is your other half. And girls don’t realize when that person is manipulating them or taking advantage of them. The importance of the friendship overshadows so much. I think a lot of girls who are normally seen as independent and strong willed, aren’t as much if their BFF is telling/asking the to do something and I hope this story will help those girls (and anyone else) recognize the signs before it’s too late.

Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?

eBook. I like to know that I always have a book with me so I use the Kindle app on my phone ALOT.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is your favorite/worst book to movie transfer?

Sometimes they can get it right, but not usually. There are just so many details in a book that a movie can’t show us. Things like smells and feelings are described in a way that we can’t grasp on film. My favorite book to movie would have to be the Harry Potter movies. Those were really good and the magical element was pretty cool to see come to life. I loved them all. In my opinion, the worst would be Twilight. I think there was just too much going on internally (emotions and thoughts) in the book that the producers couldn't put in a movie.

Your favorite food is?

Anything chocolate.

Your favorite singer/group is?

Grrr...I don’t know! I really like Imagine Dragon and Muse right now. But it changes weekly.

Your favorite color is?

Pink

Your favorite Author is?

Kim Harrison

Remember to check out today’s spotlight to find out more about NL Greene and her novel Twisted.

No comments:

Post a Comment