Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Author Interview with Traci Douglas, author of The Seven Seals Series

Seven Seals Banner Jan-Feb 815 x 315 450 x 169

Today on the blog we have author Traci Douglass, author of today’s series blast - Seven Seals Series. We would like to thank Traci for stopping by and answering a few questions. So sit back and enjoy.

 

authorinterview

Did you always wanted to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

I can’t say that I’m one of those people who always knew they wanted to be a writer. I always knew I wanted to do something creative and something where I could be my own boss. I tried photography, graphic arts, even ballroom dancing. I liked them all but nothing satisfies me the way writing does. I feel like I’ve come home.

How long did it take to get your first book published?

Well, I started querying agents and editors with Seal of Destiny in July of 2012 and it was picked up by Crimson Romance in October of 2012, so about three months to contract. It was published January 21, 2013.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?

Oh good question! J Let’s see… I’d say the tagline for the new Seal book would be:

Sometimes all we need is a second chance…

Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?

I currently have two books published with Crimson Romance and one self-published title.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?

Once I have a basic plot in mind, I usually try to kick out a rough first draft in about a month. Then I let it sit for about a couple weeks (depending on deadlines, etc.) and don’t look at it. After the break, I pick it up again and complete a revised second draft in another couple weeks and then do a final pass for polish before shipping it off to my editors. So I guess about three month turn around, start to finish.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?

I’ve got a contemporary romantic comedy series in the works right now. First book is done and looking for a publishing home at the moment with two more books planned in that series. And I’m also working on the first book in a new paranormal romantic suspense/mystery series through my MFA program.

What genre would you place your books into?

I’d place the Seven Seals Series in the Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy genre. It’s hard to pick just one these days.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?

After my first book came out, yes. I read them all. Now, I’m so busy working on other projects, I honestly don’t have a lot of time to read them all. I check in periodically if I can, but I’m not obsessive about it anymore. Usually if someone posts a really great review, someone will send me a link to it and I’ll read it. I’m just happy people are reading it. Besides, everyone’s entitled to their opinion of your work. That’s what art is all about. One of my favorite quotes is: “If you’re pleasing everybody, you’re doing something wrong.” Wise words. J

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?

Write the book first. Even if I have a title in mind, it usually changes once the book is done. For me, the two need to tie together to work and I never pick up on the underlying themes of the book until it’s completed.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?

I actually do a lot of research for my character names. I like them to have meaning for the character’s culture and heritage. For the locations, I just try to pick interesting places or places where you wouldn’t normally see a romance set.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?

Definitely. The story springs from the characters, so I need to feel like these people are my family before I write them. I do full characters for each of my main protagonists as well as my villain before starting.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")

Hidden morals or messages? Nope. Not my job. In my opinion, as an author it’s my job to create interesting characters in interesting situations that make the reader think, “What would I do?” Not my place to tell them the answer. It’s what each reader brings to the work that makes things spark.

Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?

E-book. I’m addicted to the Kindle app on my i-Pad.

Your favorite food is?

Chocolate. And wine. Wine is food, right?

Your favorite color is?

Blue. Sapphire blue.

Check out today’s series blast to find out more about this author and her amazing books.

No comments:

Post a Comment