Monday, July 15, 2013

Interview: Sara-Beth Cole author of Falken’s Woods

 

Faulkins Woods Banner 450 x 169

Today we have an interview with Sara-Beth Cole author of Falken’s Woods. I would like to thank Sara-Beth for joining us today. Enough blabbering let’s get to know her.

interview

Did you always wanted to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

I wanted to be a writer since the third grade. I've had affairs with other careers growing up, but writing fiction has always been my passion.

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?

When I finished the first draft of Falken's Woods! I knew I wanted to publish it and that is my definition of a writer.

How long did it take to get your first book published?

This is my first and I worked on it for about two years, since my daughter was born. I'm self-published, so I didn't have to go through the arduous work of finding and agent and a publisher.

Do you do another job except for writing and can you tell us more about it?

I'm a full-time student working on a degree in Clinical Lab Technology. I'm also raising my 2 children and taking care of the house. It all keeps me on a tight schedule, but I work best when I'm busy.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?

Falken's Woods in less than 20 words? A girl overcoming loss and learning that life goes on. Meanwhile, she learns about the history of her family.

Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?

I self-published. My novel will be available on Amazon(paperback and Kindle) and Nook.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?

With this being my first, it took two years. My second novel is coming along quicker and I'm hoping to release it sometime next year.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre?

Books of a different gen I might eventually decide to try something else, but for now I'm happy with the genre I'm currently writing.

What genre would you place your books into?

I would place it in YA Sci-Fi or YA Paranormal.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?

It was what I read growing up and I still admire the authors I read back then.

Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite?

In Falken's Woods, my favorite is Aunt Liddy. She's always got something brilliant to say and helps keep Regina moving in the right direction.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?

I started writing essays and poetry in grade school. My step-mom was an English teacher and my parents always encouraged reading in our house. I remember out monthly trips to the local bookstore, a tradition I carry on with my own children. I guess all the great writers I've read were my inspiration.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?

My favorite time of day to write is first thing in the morning. Once my husband leaves for work, the kids are still sleeping and it's just me, my coffee, and my computer.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?

I have so far, but there haven't been many yet. I guess I'll read any of them that I see. I can appreciate criticism.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?

The title came to me while I was editing the novel. I didn't have a working title and it bothered me a lot that my book didn't have a name.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?

The character names seem to just come to me. The location was based on a town near my house, but I just shortened the name since it wasn't exactly the same place.

Are character names and place names decided after their creation? Or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?

I create the characters first, then their names come to me. I think it works better to find a name to fit his/her personality rather than find a personality to fit a name.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?

I usually have a general idea of the character's personality right off the bat, but the more minor details come as I write.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")

Nothing hidden. I think the idea that life goes on is pretty open in the story.

Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?

I prefer reading hardback or paperback, but I do have an e-book reader that I use often.

What is your favorite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?

My favorite book is, without a doubt, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. I've read it more times than I care to admit. I even have a custom “Don't Panic” sticker on my car and 2 separate tattoos as a tribute to the book. I love the humor and it never fails to make me laugh.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favorite/worst book to movie transfer?

I've avoided watching movies based on books because I prefer to read the book first, but then I'm disappointed in the movie. I don't watch many movies or television anyway. If I had to pick, my least favorite would be Eragon. I didn't get more than twenty minutes into the movie. My favorite would have to be Tolkien's series. I've always had a fondness for Tolkien.

Your favorite food is?

It depends on the time of year. During the summer, I love steak or hamburgers on the grill. In the winter, my husband makes an amazing roast that I could eat every day!

Your favorite singer/group is?

I love the classic sound of U2. I could listen to them all day and not grow tired of their music.

Your favorite color is?

I used to adore bright green colors like honeydew, but my son told me we couldn't have the same favorite color, so I'm trying to train myself to like violet instead.

Your favorite Author is?

Do I have to pick one?

It would be a tie between Douglas Adams, Arthur Clark, John Irving, and George Orwell.

More about Sara-Beth Cole and her novel Falken’s Woods

blitz

clip_image002

Falken's Woods
Sara Beth Cole

Genre: Young Adult Paranormal

Date of Publication: July 6, 2013

ISBN:1490316620

ASIN:978-1490316628

Number of pages: 183

Word Count: 57.000

Cover Artist: John Hofmann at 640 Media Solutions

 

Book Description

After losing her mother, Regina Holler moves to a small town with her estranged Aunt Liddy.

 

In between making soap and learning about her peculiar family history, Regina stumbles across two brothers with problems of their own.

 

Jason and Landon swear that the woods she wanders through aren’t haunted, but it seems the ghosts of Regina’s past are set on colliding with the ghosts of Falken’s Woods.

Book Links -

Amazon / Smashwords / Barnes and Noble

 

Author

 

clip_image004

 

Sara-Beth Cole lives in Southeastern Michigan with her husband and two children along with her rescue dog, Rufus, and cat, Clara. She loves reading and sunshine and combines the two as often as possible.

Website / Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment