Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Interview with Patricia A Knight author of Hers To Command

 

Hers to Command Banner 450 x 169

 

interview

Today we interview Patricia A Knight author of Hers to Command. I would like to thank Patricia for joining us for this interview. No without further ado…

 

Did you always wanted to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

I always wanted to jump horses, which I did. I worked as a contract legal assistant/secretary to corporate trial attorneys to finance it. All the while I read voraciously as a form of stress relief.

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?

I still don’t. I consider myself a “story-teller.” The stories just happen to be written down. Occasionally, someone likes one well enough to publish it for me.

How long did it take to get your first book published?

Three years. Persist, persist, persist.

Do you do another job except for writing and can you tell us more about it?

When I got tired of being abused by attorneys, I started a pottery studio. Fifteen years later, I sold a very prosperous pottery business and started writing full-time. I thought it would give me more time to garden and ride my horses. HA! The weeds are six feet high and I suppose my horse is still there. I pay his bills every month.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?

My latest book to be released is Hers To Choose. In less than 20 words: An violated innocent and a disillusioned warrior join intimately to protect a world and people in peril. Yeah! I made it in under 20!

Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?

A wonderful micro-publisher out of Los Angeles, CA. Troll River Publications. Stephanie McKibben is the owner. Can’t say enough good things about her. I also have some guidance with social media. TL Luedke, a successful, self-published author, is my guru.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?

Three to six months.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?

I have one more title in the Verdantian series, Hers To Cherish, that will be released on August 26th. THEN!!! In spring of next year my western, The Dry Season, will be released. It is a “HOT historical” about a Texas cowboy returning home after the civil war. He starts a remount business for the U.S. Government with his partner. This is book one of a 3-book series.

What genre would you place your books into?

My Verdantian series nests somewhere into the science-fiction-fantasy-erotic-romance-kinky-sex, genre. (I think I just made a genre up!) And The Dry Season is a conventional western with very non-conventional sex.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?

I love explicit sex but I require there be a story-line to support it. I want my hero and heroine to fall in love and have a happy ever after ending. And I love fantasy/sci-fi. So I just put the two together. My western is a natural. I have lived in Texas all my adult life and because I showed horses, I hung around hunky cowboys all day long. Doesn’t take a great stretch of the imagination to write about them. Of course, the sex must be in there, too.

Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite?

My favorite character in all my books is Eric. He is the one character I think I could ACTUALLY live with in real life! LOL I think he would be a good “life partner.”

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?

I have been telling stories since childhood. The neighborhood kids used to come over in the summer evenings and sit on our porch steps while I told stories of knights and ladies and horses and cowboys. I got inspired to write as an adult because I couldn’t find the books that I wanted to read. I could find sci-fi, but they didn’t have sex. I could find erotica, but it wasn’t “mystical.”

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?

I sit at my computer every day and make myself put down a minimum of 1,200 words. Some books write themselves. Hers To Cherish wrote itself in about three weeks. Other books, I struggle with.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?

Yes. Soon or later! LOL I try not to “drink the cool-aide” of good reviews and I try not to fall on my sword when I get bad reviews.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?

Both. With the “Hers To” series, after the first two books, I knew I was going to have to maintain the “Hers To” in the title. I sent out an appeal for every verb in the English language that began with a “C”!!!

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?

Wow. Good question. It is torturous. I usually try to find a list of names for men and look at the meanings of the names – and go from there. Women the same way. I have been known to change a name because my critique partners didn’t like it. I also avoid names that end with “s” – it makes the possessive sound like snakes have been released.

Are character names and place names decided after their creation? Or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?

Most definitely after the character. The character comes first and then the name. The place comes first and then the name.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?

All my characters have a complete backstory that never gets into the book. It is similar to what you do in the theater when you are acting. You imagine an entire history for your character and then bring it to the lines that you speak. Similar for me with my characters. I know who they are, who their parents are, all their little quirks and peculiarities before the book ever beings.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")

Yes. My critique partners are always teasing me about being incapable of “just writing a story.” No. . . I have to save the world – right wrongs – avenge injustice. LOL

Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?

Personally, I love hardback books. They have become so expensive that I do buy them when I have already read the ebook and liked the story so well that I want it for my “keeper” shelf. Otherwise . . . it’s ebook.

What is your favorite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?

The Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase. I have read it many, many times.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favorite/worst book to movie transfer?

I don’t like books to movies. My mind is infinitely more creative in picturing a story and its characters than any producer and I regularly look at who is cast as my hero and heroine and tilt my head sideways with a “HUH?” The worst case of this was Dune, by Frank Herbert and the best case was Lord of the Rings, by Tolkien.

Your favorite food is?

Gin and Tonics!! The cure-all for stress, arthritis, boring people and intimidating life events.

Your favorite singer/group is?

Wow. I simply could not narrow it down. I’m a sucker for “epica” – you know the music you hear at the end of movies like Star Trek and the Lord of the Rings and such. But then I also like heavy metal and The Beachboys and Josh Groban and opera and Gregorian Chant and . . . well you get the idea.

Your favorite color is?

Magenta or Indigo Blue.

Your favorite Author is?

I have put about one hundred and fifty names in a hat. All legitimate contenders for “my favorite author.” I am now closing my eyes and putting my hand in and stirring the contents of the hat. Drum roll please . . . . and the winner is!!!! Loretta Chase! Yeah! Confetti, pigeons, red balloons!

blitz

 

clip_image002

blitz

Hers To Command
Verdantia Series Book One

Patricia A. Knight

Genre: ♂♀♂ Erotic Romance, Sci-fi/futuristic

Publisher: Troll River Publications

Date of Publication: 6/4/2013

ISBN: 978-1-939564-10-8

ASIN: B00D5KVIV2

Number of pages: 193

Word Count: 73,428

Cover Artist: Truenotdreams

Book Description:

Conte Camliel Aristos deTano, Ari, has long spurned the marriage forced upon him. Princess Fleur Constante, his contractual bride and the beautiful future queen, though young and inexperienced, is willing to risk everything – including her own sanity – to save her planet.

The inhabitants of the sentient planet, Verdantia, are poised on the precipice of extinction following a brutal invasion by an off-world, nomadic horde. Verdantia’s capital, Sylvan Mintoth, must have its failing energy shield restored, or the planet is doomed. The Elders know the shield can draw energy from only one thing—a very arduous and grueling coupling of two specific people pre-chosen by the planet, Herself, and promised by prearranged marriage contract.

Verdantia draws strength from the duo, but the sentient planet whispers to Ari that a third is necessary – Ari’s aide de camp, Visconte Doral deLorion, an angelically handsome, skilled assassin who silently surrendered his heart to Ari long ago.

The trio struggles to make this surprising partnership harmonious, pushing through pride, scars of past abuse, fears of inexperience and distrust. To save Verdantia, they must overcome their individual weaknesses and realize their full potential. Only the tetriarch and their combined synergy, can harness Verdantia’s immense power to shield its citizens from invasion.

Book Trailer: http://youtu.be/sRt_mpFuenc

Amazon Goodreads Kobo

 

Author 

Patricia A. Knight is the pen name for an eternal romantic who lives in Dallas, Texas surrounded by her horses, dogs and the best man on the face of the earth – oh yeah, and the most enormous bullfrogs you will ever see. Word to the wise: don’t swim in the pool after dark.


I love to hear from my readers and can be reached at http://www.trollriverpub.com/ or  http://www.patriciaaknight.com

Check out my latest “Hunk of the Day,” book releases, contests and other fun stuff on my face book page: https://www.facebook.com/patricia.knight.71619

Website: http://www.patriciaaknight.com/home.html

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/patricia.knight.71619

Twitter: https://twitter.com/patriciaaknight

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7093656.Patricia_A_Knight

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/patriciak4394/

No comments:

Post a Comment