Friday, April 11, 2014

Author Interview with Angela Dennis, author of Shadows of Fate.

Shadows of Fate Banner 450 x 169

 

Today on the blog we have author Angela Dennis, author of Shadows of Fate, today’s Book Blast. We would like to thank Angela for stopping by and sharing with us.

About Angela:

Angela Dennis lives outside Cincinnati, Ohio with her husband, son and a sheltie with a hero complex. When she is not at her computer crafting stories, she can be found feeding her coffee addiction, playing peek-a-boo, or teaching her son about the great adventures found only in books.

You can visit Angela at her blog www.angeladennisauthor.blogspot.com or at her website www.angeladennisauthor.com . She loves to hear from her readers, so find her on Twitter for a chat @angeladennis

https://twitter.com/AngelaDennis

https://www.facebook.com/angela.dennis.7798

http://www.pinterest.com/angeladennis779/

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/26267274-angela-dennis

www.angeladennisauthor.blogspot.com

www.angeladennisauthor.com

authorinterview

Did you always wanted to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

I’m not sure I ever made the conscious decision to become a writer. I’ve always written. Even as a child, my diary was full of make-believe stories filled with mystical creatures. Writing is very cathartic for me. I can’t imagine ever not writing. That being said, growing up I wanted to be a professional musician. I started playing the piano almost before I could walk and added other instruments as I grew older. I decided to take another path, but music is still a big part of my life.

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?

Honestly, I still don’t consider myself a writer. I pinch myself every time I see the cover for SHADOWS. It’s so surreal.

Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?

I publish with Samhain Publishing

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?

It usually takes me about two months to write a first draft. But it takes me another two months to revise it. I’m brutal when I edit. There’s usually very little of the original version left when I’m done.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?

Shadows of Fate is the first book in the Shadow Born series, so Brenna and Gray’s adventures are far from over. I love the secondary characters in this series, so I’m playing with the idea of doing a spin off with one of them. I’m also currently revising the first book in a paranormal romance series that I’m really excited about.

What genre would you place your books into?

Shadows of Fate is an urban fantasy, but it has strong romantic elements. I think it will appeal to both readers of urban fantasy and paranormal romance.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?

It wasn’t a conscious decision. I wanted to write something I would pick up at the bookstore and read. I love books that mix elements of different genres. There’s nothing better than a little fantasy mixed with romance.

Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite?

Brenna is probably my favorite character, but I have a soft spot for Lucy. It’s hard not to love a disgruntled gargoyle with a penchant for moon pies.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?

My life is pretty hectic, so I write whenever I find a second. That could be sitting in the waiting room at the doctor’s office, during my lunch break at my day job, during my son’s nap time, or plotting in my head while walking the dog. I never have a set time to write. I do try to write to music whenever possible because it makes the emotions of the scene flow easier.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?

Yes. Good or bad. I can’t seem to stop myself.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?

Choosing a title is more difficult for me than writing the book. I usually have the book completely finished (revisions and all) before I even attempt to choose the title. Even then it’s a painstaking process.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?

I probably over think my character names, but it is important to me that the meaning be significant both to the character and to the story. The same is true with location or place names.

Are character names and place names decided after their creation? Or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?

The first thing I do is envision who I want the character to be, then I find a name for them that expresses that vision.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?

I go into the story with a clear picture of who the characters are, but sometimes they go in a completely different direction. I’m a big proponent of the creative process. If I think the character should be shy and she ends up brazen, I’m okay with that.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")

My books tend to be about redemption. That everyone, no matter who they are, or what they’ve done, deserves a second chance.

Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?

I love eBooks, but I’m still a sucker for a hardback.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favorite/worst book to movie transfer?

I think books can transfer well to movies, if the movie stays true to the theme and intent of the book. My favorite book to move transfer has to be Lord of the Rings. I’ve read the books and seen the movies numerous times. They never get old.

Your favorite food is?

Pizza. In all shapes, sizes or forms.

Your favorite singer/group is?

Dave Matthews Band. My husband and I are both huge fans. We splurged and got tickets to a concert for our anniversary this year and I’m counting the days.

Your favorite color is?

Purple. It’s the happy color. Seeing it always makes me smile.

Your favorite Author is?

I can’t possibly answer this with just one person. I love Karen Marie Moning’s FEVER series. It really changed the way I look at Urban Fantasy. But every time I see a Kim Harrison book, I do a little happy dance and make plans to steal away for a few hours and devour it.

If you would like to find out more about this amazing author, check out today’s book blast below.

No comments:

Post a Comment